Along with Byodo-in Temple Ho-o-do (Phoenix Hall), Chuson-ji Temple Konjiki-do (Golden Hall) is one of the most famous structures from the late Heian period. It is a brilliant Buddhist temple with a hall that is embossed with gold leaf on both the interior and exterior. It was built in 1124 by Oshu Fujiwara-shi (the Northern Fujiwara clan) as a corner of Chuson-ji in Hiraizumi, Nishiiwai District, Iwate Prefecture. It is a small Buddhist temple measuring about 5.5 meters on each side. It originally sat outdoors in the open air, but it is now enclosed in a wooden building that was built around it to prevent further deterioration. Chuson-ji Temple Konjiki-do was listed as a World Heritage Site in 2011.